Bah. And so frustration strikes again. I like to plan my days and make estimates as to how long certain things will take me. For instance: brush teeth: 2 minutes; wash face: 2 minutes; shower: 12 minutes; brush hair: 30 seconds; dress up and put shoes on: 2 minutes...then walk out door. I admit this crawls along the edge of neurotic, but I can't change who I am. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people who can swiftly make adjustments to deviations in plans. But of course, life being the tricky mistress that she is, one cannot always anticipate what's to come in say 5 minutes time. I scheduled several experiments today so that I could avoid going to lab for the bulk of tomorrow. I wanted to reserve the day to read my book. Oh, dear, what a sad commentary on my life, but truthfully, as I've mentioned previously, I feel as though there's so little time to do all the things I want to do and I just wanted to focus on one indulgence at a time. Well, I'm sure you can imagine how the story ends. Juggling too many tasks at once invariably leads to catastrophe accompanied by disappointment. Perhaps it was really poor planning on my part, but it is what it is and with that, I must go to work tomorrow and repeat some experiments. Blast. Ah well, I suppose I'll try to start early tomorrow so I can leave early. Whine, whine, whine...yeah, I know...
Every morning I say "good morning" to Ron, one of the custodians in our building and we usually chat about his weekend plans, his garden, or his grandchildren. I would say he's in his mid-70s now since he just attended his 55th high school reunion. Today he told me that he came to work at 3 in the morning to wax the floors. I always feel terrible whenever I hear about folks his age with such arduous work schedules since by now I'd expect these people to relax, sip some lemonade, and enjoy life. But alas, here he is waxing our floors and amazingly all with a smile. I guess I just have a soft spot for the elderly. I used to volunteer at a nursing home and almost instantly, I'd fall in love with everybody there. Ron is one of those lovable characters...the kind you want to hug all the time. If anything, going to work extra early tomorrow would allow me to exchange another "good morning" with Ron which I don't mind at all.
I've recently made some impulse purchases. It's been so windy here lately that I've taken up kite-flying. What a way to relive your childhood. I'll post pictures of my new kite soon. It's an enormous, blue whale (2.1 meters in length) named Bingding. (Brief account on the origin of Bingding's name: I was doing a gel extraction one day in lab and as I opened the kit, I noticed that one of the buffers had a typo. Instead of "Binding Buffer" the label read: "Bingding Buffer." Come on, tell me that wouldn't make you snicker! Ah, the little things, eh?)
I also bought a keyboard because gosh darn it, my music playing abilities have severely deteriorated and I'm afraid I'll lose my music abilities altogether if I don't do something now to prevent this from happening. There are lots of free sheet music that I found on ze internetz that I'm excited to learn, namely Unchained Melody. That ranks high on my "Favorite Songs of All Time" list for various reasons, but mostly because I associate it with some truly happy moments in my life.
As always, I miss all of you, but more so these days. I hope you're all terrific and safe. xx
No comments:
Post a Comment