Sunday, November 6, 2011

Everybody's workin' for the weekend

I like to indulge in the simplicities of life.  To me that defines a good weekend--it is nothing extravagant, but it sure is comfortable.  Thank goodness one of the TAs had to go out of town for the weekend so we weren't stuck grading the students' dang fly exam.  So far, these kids are 1 lecture exam, 1 microbe lab exam, 3 lab reports, 6 quizzes, and 1 final away from being completely donzo with this god awful class.  I've dealt with so many panic-stricken kids in the past few weeks, I'm beginning to feel more like a therapist than a teacher.  This class is like no other I've ever taken before and it still amazes me how much they must endure for one measly 5 credit class.  But like I've been telling my kids, any hardship that you go through, this too shall pass.  And it's true.  Come mid-December, we will all wash our hands clean of Genetics 2810.  Hurrah!

Anywho, the weather (surprisingly enough) has been absolutely lovely these past few days.  I hate how my mood tends to reflect the weather patterns here, but I will take any sunny day I can get, honestly.  Sunday has become my favorite day.  I went to lab in the morning to take pictures of my canavanine assay, went to mass and afterward I grabbed a coffee and sat at the Barnes and Noble to read my book.  People watching is great.  I noticed this old husband and wife (presumably so) browsing the $10 section and debating what Elvis cookbook to buy.  Adorable.  Later, I went for a run and ended the afternoon in lab to deconvolute my microscopy images.

This past week, Aaron Ciechanover came to deliver his Racker lecture and then he visited us in our lab.  Apparently, him and Scott go way back and are pretty chummy.  This guy was hilarious and had a lot of charm.  But he did offer some sage advice which I felt was quite apropos since many of us have no idea what we want nor where we're going in life (well, not completely true for everyone, but I will repeat what he said regardless of where you are in your life): "It's important to study and do what you love.  I mean who knows why a banana curves, but there are people who study it because that's what they love." 



Good night.   



I really like that song too.

No comments:

Post a Comment